In the current climate of increasing health care costs, students on fixed incomes are particularly vulnerable. Each year, the cost of prescription drugs and basic health services take increasingly large portions out of the limited budgets of many students. Postponement of necessary but expensive medical procedures can have disastrous consequences and may jeopardize the completion of students’ academic programs. The Students’ Union operates group health and dental plans for members to ensure that all students have access to the medical services they require.

More Information


Full-time undergraduate students are automatically registered with the plan. Students already covered under an extended health plan (i.e. a plan other than a provincial health care plan) and/or dental plan may choose to opt out of the Students’ Union plans to receive a refund of health and dental fees.

Full-time students are eligible to opt out each year during their first full-time academic semester. Opt-outs need to be completed each academic year. Once a student has opted out, they are not able to opt back in during that same year unless their alternate insurance has been terminated.

To opt out of the health and/or dental plans, please use the following steps:

  1. Prepare your alternative extended insurance information, including the company name and policy number.
  2.   Click the opt-out link, to be directed to the Greenshield Opt-Out website.
  3.   Follow the prompts to input all relevant information. Please note that you are opt-ting out of both health and dental, you should include both policies in the same form.
  4.   Retain your confirmation email and number for your records. If you do not receive a confirmation email, contact our Health and Dental Administrator for assistance.

Refunds will be issued as a credit to your student account approximately two to three weeks after the last day to add courses.

There is an appeal process for students who have missed the opt-out deadline for a legitimate reason. Please complete this appeals form and return it into the MUNSU office.


Full-time, undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in the plan. If you are not a full-time student, or wish to add Family Coverage to your plan, you can opt-in to the plan.

Part-time Students

Part-time students can opt-in to the health and dental plan by completing the opt-in form and paying the necessary fee.

Work-Term Students

Work Term students can opt-in to the health and/or dental plan by completing the opt-in form and paying the necessary fee. If your work term is taking place outside of the province, please note that our plan covers up to 180 days of travel insurance.

Family Coverage

Students may opt their families into the plan by completing the opt-in form and paying the necessary fee. Family coverage covers one spouse/common law partner and up to 3 children.

International Students

International students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Student Health plan, coordination through the Internationalization Office.

International Students with a current MCP card may opt out of the Foreign Student Health Plan by contacting the Internationalization Office and opt-in to the MUNSU plan by completing the opt-in form and paying the necessary fee.

Fees and Payment

Students may send a completed form and cheque to the MUNSU Office, or visit the office in person to complete a form a pay using a debit or credit card.  The 2019/2020 Fees are outlined below:

Per Semester Per Year
Health Dental Combined Health Dental Combined
Part-Time 182.00 153.00 335.00
Work Term 91.00 76.50 167.50
International 91.00 76.50 167.50
Family Coverage 220.00 274.00 494.00

Coverage and Filing Claims

Your insurance plan number is MUN[Your Student Number]-00. For services that offer direct billing, you must provide this plan number.

For information about your plan, to access your coverage booklet, to file a claim online, or to set up direct deposit, you can create an online account with the Greenshield Student Center.

If you do not wish to submit a form online, you can complete a [CLAIMS FORM] and MUNSU will file the claim on your behalf. Claim forms are available in the MUNSU Office. Please note that it takes 2-3 weeks for claims to be processed, and they can be picked up from the MUNSU Office.


For questions about opting-out, opting-in, or to appeal an opt-out, please contact the Health and Dental Administration at hdplan@munsu.ca. 

For questions about plan coverage or ongoing claims, please call Greenshield at 1.888.711.1119

Questions? Email hdplan@munsu.ca