The Students’ Union Board of Directors is composed of thirty-nine elected representatives including five Executive members, faculty representatives, and constituency representatives. Elections for these positions are held annually in March. A by-election to fill vacant positions is held in the Fall Semester.
The Board of Directors is responsible for managing the Students’ Union and meets weekly throughout the year to discuss issues of concern to students. The Board is also responsible for organising campaigns and services of the Union, and ensuring that they meet the needs of members.
Board members are required to serve on at least one Students’ Union committee. These committees report to the Board on a regular basis to inform its decisions on matters such as finances, entertainment, campaigns, and the Union’s health and dental plans and other services.
The Executives are elected student representatives that work full-time hours in office and out. These students are mandated to be enrolled in (3) – (9) credit-hours each Fall & Winter semester. They each have duties unique to their portfolio, projects they can spear-head along side their respective committees, and day-to-day or annual duties that arise shared by all. They manage the operations and services of the union collaboratively, and exist as a non-hierarchy – meaning all executive have the same level of authority.
Director of Advocacy – Matt Barter
The Executive Director of Advocacy supervises all advocacy work of the Students’ Union. If you ever find yourself needing help, Matt is there for you. The three main types of advocacy work are academic, financial, and legal. The Director is also responsible for ensuring adequate student representation on University committees, for developing campaigns to improve students’ knowledge of academic and non-academic rights, and for chairing the Advocacy Committee, which coordinates the Union’s advocacy initiatives.
Director of Campaigns – Brad Greeley
The Executive Director of Campaigns is responsible for developing campaigns to improve equity, accessibility to post-secondary education and other issues of concern for students, the university community, and the community-at-large. The Director of Campaigns chairs the Campaigns and Actions Committee, which coordinates the implementation of campaigns of the Students’ Union and the Canadian Federation of Students.
Director of External Affairs, Communications & Research – Renata Lang
The Executive Director of External Affairs,Communications, and Research is the Union’s spokesperson and oversees the production and publication of communication and information materials, such as the handbook,website, and media relations. The Director also coordinates research and chairs the MembershipEngagement Committee, which works on membership engagement and oversees external communications.
Director of Finance & Services – Sophia Solomon
The Executive Director of Finance and Services is responsible for managing the Union’s financial affairs and ensuring the smooth operation of its services. The Director chairs the Finance and Services Committee, which develops the Union’s budget, reviews spending, ensures the proper collection of fees and other revenue, and oversees and promotes the services of the Students’ Union and the Canadian Federation of Students at Memorial (e.g. the Health and Dental Plan, the Attic, CHMR-FM, the Breezeway, etc).
Director of Student Life – Bailey Howard
The Executive Director of Student Life oversees the operation of student groups on campus and is responsible for administering Individual Merit Funds, Special Project Grants, and Conference Hosting applications. This executive also chairs the Student Life Committee which coordinates social events for the Union’s members such as concerts and speaker series, and prepares Welcome Weeks and Winter Carnival events and works closely with clubs, societies and resource centres.
Directors At Large (5)
- Director at Large – John Godfrey, Jil Madamiedon, Hanaa Mekawy, Tina Rahimi, VACANT
Constituency Representatives (10)
- Indigenous Students’ Rep – Jordan Collier
- International Students’ Rep – Andre Santoso
- Queer Students’ Rep – Derek Semerad
- Students with Disabilities Rep – Alison Kavanagh
- Student Parents’ Rep – Petra Chaffey-Johnson
- Women’s Rep – Courtney Jones
- Paton College Rep– Tristan Philipson
- Burton’s Pond Rep – Sagnik Ghosh
- MacPherson College Rep – VACANT
- Part-time Student Rep – VACANT
Faculty and School Representatives (19)
- Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS) Reps – Nikki McIntyre, Isabella Fahey, Taryn McLachlan
- Business Admin Reps – Uzair Mansoor, Justin Lopinski (semester abroad)
- Centre for Nursing Studies Rep. – Juliana Collins
- Engineering Reps – Jennifer Bennett (work term), Keegan Brophy
- Education Representative – Hannah Delany
- Human Kinetics & Recreation (HKR) Rep – Nehara Herat
- Medicine Rep – Kayleigh Maxwell
- MUN Nursing Rep – Paul Bulai
- Music Rep – Michael O’Keefe
- Pharmacy Rep – Christina Tran
- Science Rep – Carmen Fang, Meriel Fitzgerald, Laura Hillier
- Social Work Rep – Dominique Dawe (work term)